Eight minutes with Alison Bechdel on her motivations, insecurities, and more:
What motivates me? Deep insecurity. I do think to some extent it is an incompleteness or a neurosis on my part… [H]onestly that’s why anyone pursues any avenue of creativity — it’s because they’re trying to get something that they’re missing.
See also Bechdel’s feelings on seeing a finished copy of Fun Home for the first time (” I’m deeply pleased, but not elated, for some reason. I feel a bit like Mr. Earbrass…”), her discovery that “the actual documentary truth” recorded in the childhood journals she consulted while writing the book “was almost always richer and more surprising” than the way she remembered things happening, and her validation of your internet addiction.
- start-anywhere likes this
- thejollyape likes this
- knowhomo likes this
- fuckyeahlesbianliterature reblogged this from maudnewton
- ladytings reblogged this from maudnewton and added:
- lesbrary likes this
- actionjacksonlovesbbq likes this
- nonsensemarcos likes this
- alexanderchee likes this
- uncertaintimes likes this
- thatbirdonlysingswhensad likes this
- kosel likes this
- olddanyeller likes this
- katiecoyle likes this
- skibinskipedia likes this
- cvsathiya reblogged this from maudnewton
- hannahmiet likes this
- irunfrombears likes this
- hannahmiet reblogged this from maudnewton
- maudnewton posted this
Stuff I Like
Please be excited for this brave new world. It’s going to be great.
yes, i do.
i’ve had a bunch of pretty heavy life questions thrown at me by my kid recently, so I seriously appreciate last night’s bedtime query:...
“I didn’t set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I’m happy to start the conversation. I...”
On TwitterFollow @maudnewton